Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Update...

I'm pretty unhappy about my visit at the vets this evening...I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what went on in there, and I'm left thinking that I'm going to call tomorrow morning and talk with one of the gals I know there (I was hired to work there a year or so ago, but I turned it down) and let her know about my very disappointing visit.

Not only did I walk out of there paying much more than I should have, I felt hurried and rushed through the visit. I had never met that doctor before, and I'm not sure I want to meet her again - she totally talked down to me, "Did you READ the directions?" You would have to have heard the way she said it...anyway...$111.06 later, some antibiotics and a dermatologists' number. I felt basically thrown out and smacked in the face on the way out. I was just...I can't even explain it! That doctor was so not about to talk at any length with me about it. She sort of made me feel like an idiot for being one of these "loonies" who tries to live as chemical free as possible.

Sigh. In any event:

1. She (the so-called vet) said he has a skin allergy. To what she hasn't a clue. Could be a number of things. That is why I need to see the skin doctor.

2. She charged me $43.10 to shave my babydog's tail-end area, and "clean" the area.
I was staggered when I went from a $40 visit to suddenly $111!! I asked the receptionist, "Uuumm, where did the extra $70 come from ???" She too treated me like an idiot, with a look that said, "Oh, she's one of THOSE customers". I guess I'm crazy, but I thought that was a bit much to shave a 4x4 area on my dog's bum, and not even ask me first if that charge was ok with me. I knew they were going to shave the area, but I had no clue in the slightest I was about to be ripped off over it! My god, I don't even pay that much for my haircuts! Anyway, I just feel like, what just happened here???? Wow.

3. She said to spray the Genesis spray for immediate relief, that if I FOLLOWED the directions it would work. (You DID read the directions, didn't you?!?! Sigh.)

4. He's on antibiotics for a possible skin infection in the above-mentioned back-end area.

I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. I'll call the dermatologist and get some information about their visits, etc. I definitely want to get it figured out so my sweet babydog doesn't have to suffer allergies. Did I tell you that the vet told me, "It's not about YOU!" Yes, she really said that! I feel pretty deflated, and am considering I might need to find a different veterinarian.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I hope veterinarians aren't going to start treating people the way medical doctors often treat people. I had to shop around a lot to find ones that I liked. There is no excuse for treating people the way you were treated and then overcharging.

Gypsy said...

I worked for several years as a vet tech with some great vets. I no longer liver near the vets I worked with and have made the rounds here until I found one that I felt actually liked animals, talked to me and did not try over charge.

I found my current vet by asking several (ok, a lot) of people who they use and why. I would suggest you do the same. You might also check out www.ahvma.org for a vet in your area.

FYI, from past experience I can say that the 2 most common dog allergies are corn - in treats and food, and fleas.