Saturday, June 28, 2008

Getting What We Need for Summer Allergies....

Over the 4th of July holiday, we'll be celebrating Michaelangelo's birthday! I don't know when he was really born, but that is the time that he came into my life. This is the beginning of our 4rd year together - he was found wandering alone on July 4th, 2005.

As much as we love summer, we don't love the seasonal allergy issues it brings Michael. He has what has been called a flea bite dermatitis. So, just one flea bite, and he'll turn pink and scratch himself a raw spot...It's painful for me to know he is so uncomfortable. I have been wanting to find a way to deal with this issue without the use of the prescribed steroids...Anyone who knows me or has read this blog in the past knows how I feel about putting chemicals on my babycakes! And after a very unproductive visit with our vet last year, I vowed I would find someone who would listen to me and take my thoughts seriously about the health and longevity of my dog, and help me find a way to help him without spraying chemicals that are known to cause other very serious problems with long-term use. And since I have known him long enough to know that the minute the heat sets in and the fleas come out of hibernation, there is going to be an issue. He does get however, Frontline once per month, and I supplement combating fleas with Dr. Ackerman's Natural Botanical remedy which has nothing but herbs in it.

And FINALLY ! after much research I have found our new vet clinic!!
Michael just about jumped into his new doctor's arms, we thought she might have treats in her pocket, but she did not! He knows good people when he smells them, and even though she eventually was sticking some acupuncture needles in him, he left happy and wagging....

Yes, you read me right! Michaelangelo had ACUPUNCTURE! I had never thought that would be something we would do for his doggie allergies! But, they have a REAL holistic approach and also promote raw diet for dogs, which I'll be looking into further. Right now, Michael is eating and loving Innova for dogs. We'll see about the raw diet later this summer. For now, I'm focusing on getting his allergic issue under control. In addition to having had acupuncture, he is on some herbal stuff as well, which I will mix into his food. So! Thus begins my observation journal for Michael again, and we'll talk with the vet in two weeks and see what is happening! I hope this is going to help! I'm definitely hopeful!

Here is some info that might also be helpful in regards to combating fleas this summer!!
Let me know if any of you have had similar experiences and also what your results are!

HAPPY SUMMER EVERYONE!!!!

No comments: