Sunday, January 09, 2011

Whole Food Recipe for Dogs

This was given to us by friends we see at the dog park!

Michael currently gets baked chicken, sweet potatoes (really good for their skin & coat!), carrots and a bit of egg yellows along with a sprinkling of Innova dry food. I have always been concerned about the food that is put out there for dogs, and what people buy to feed their pets! This really came to light for me when I was hired to promote Eukanuba food and learned through their training more about dog foods. This has led me to add a lot of this information on this blog and finding other information that while sickened me ( like here, and what's "really" in the dog food), made me better equipped to decide if what I'm feeding my dog is worth the "savings" (the reason SO many people gave me for feeding their dog total CRAP when I was promoting Eukanuba). You can get some great information at the Whole Dog Journal and here is the Raw Dog Food Book to check out as well!

This blog actually started when Michaelangelo was having some severe reactions to flea bites. I didn't want to put the "frontlines" and all this on him, I thought it was dangerous! And my research shows IT IS! And a showdown with my vet - who only pushed steroids to treat Michael, then yelled at me when I dared question him about there being another way - led me to the Hawthrone Vet Clinic where Michael is treated at his visits with not only love, but herbal remedies and accupuncture if needed. Since we use Comfortis for flea control, Michaelangelo has never had another allergic reation where his skin turns brrrrright red and he scratches holes into his lovely soft skin!! I'm SO thankful I found my vet clinic, and urge you too, if you are not in a bigger city where this might be available to you to do your research and figure out how to help your pet be as healthy as possible for a long, loving life as your "kid"!

Some of my 'raw food friends' on facebook were discussing healthy raw diets for dogs, and has gotten me thinking about doing away altogether once and for all with any dry food for Michael. Our pup doc even said to just do away with it if possible.
*************************************************

DOGGIE MENU = 4 cups daily (this menu was based on a 65lb dog ADD 1 chewable childrens' vitamin every other day)

Here is the recipe:

4 cups rice
8 cups water
5 lbs. ground turkey
8 eggs
5 lbs shredded carrotts

Preheat oven to 325
Pam sprage large roaster pan
Mix rice - water - turkey - beaten eggs in roaster pan
Bake 1 hour then Stir well
Bake 1 hour more
Mix mixture with raw shredded carrots in big bowl

Freeze in daily portions or refridgerate for no more than 3 days!

Enjoy!

Thanks Lucille & Jerry!
WOOF!!

No comments: